Update on IATO activities (Monday, 20th July to Sunday, 26th July 2020)
2nd August 2020
To All Members
SUBJECT: Update on IATO activities (Monday, 20th July to Sunday, 26th July 2020)
Please find appended relevant activities of our association for the period (Monday, 20th July to Sunday, 26th July 2020).
Segments covered are
1. Communication / Letters that addressed key issues
2. Webinars/ Panel Discussions/Circulars/Meetings
Request your feedback to further the content of our weekly report.
1. Communication / Letters that addressed key issues
Segment 1 update sequence by date: 20, 21, 23, 24, July
Monday, 20th July
- Request to continue SEIS benefits to Tour Operators for their hard work in increasing Foreign Tourists Arrivals, earning? valuable Foreign Exchange and creating millions of Jobs
On the date, IATO requested Shri Prahlad Singh Patel, Hon’ble Minister of State for Tourism (IC)? on the above subject. IATO urged that the issue may kindly be taken up with the Hon’ble Commerce Minister who has been requested by communication sent by IATO on the 17th of July on the same subject. An appointment was requested with the Hon’ble Tourism Minister in person or through video conferencing on any suitable? date/time as per his convenience to explain the above matters in greater detail.??
A copy of the above letter, along with the letter written to Hon’ble Commerce Minister on 17th? July 2020 on the above subject and the reasons mentioned in the letter was forwarded to Shri Yogendra Tripathi, Secretary (Tourism). DG, ADG, and JS Tourism were also informed.
- Regarding the proposal made by FHRAI to bypass tour operators for SEIS Benefits
On the date, IATO wrote Mr. Nakul Anand, Chairman, FAITH on the above subject and requested that if he could write a letter to Mr. Piyush Goyal, Minister of Commerce that FAITH does not support the proposal made by FHRAI during the VC meeting on 13 July 2020 and there should not be any change in the existing policy and SEIS benefits to remain to continue to the tour operators and hotels as per existing rules and status quo to be maintained. ??
Thursday, 23rd July
- In response to the letter from IATO on the 15th of July to Mr. Gurbaxish Singh Kohli, President - Hotel & Restaurant Association Western India, Vice President -The Federation of Hotel & Restaurant Associations of India,?regarding VC meeting with Hon’ble Minister for Commerce and?SEIS benefit to Tour Operators on Foreign Exchange Earnings, Mr. Kohli clarified that:
- They were speaking on how hotels don’t get Foreign Exchange credit for foreign guest stays.
- Mr. Kohli mentioned that business comes from tour operators and the Foreign Exchange is adjusted with them. The Hon’ble Minister had said that both must find a way probably to share this and it ended there.
- There was never any suggestion from FHRAI, that Tour Operators should not get any Foreign Exchange Credit through SEIS of any scheme
- Mr. Kohli assured, that FHRAI is not intending?to push any demand to the Ministry of Commerce or Finance, for bypassing tour operators from getting SEIS benefits.?
- On the date, in response to the clarification by Mr. Gurbaxish Singh, IATO thanked Mr. Singh for clarifying the stand of FHRAI in the matter and assuring that FHRAI does not have any intention to push any such demand to the Ministry of Commerce or Finance
- Regarding Change in MoT Guidelines for Recognition of Inbound Tour Operators?
On date IATO wrote to Mrs. Meenakshi Sharma, Director General (Tourism) on the above subject giving reference to the earlier mails of 13th April, 25th February, a meeting of 14th February, and 16th January 2020, urging her to look into the request on priority and changes to be made as per recommendations made by IATO. It mentioned that IATO is open to any discussion to finalise the new guidelines.
- SEIS benefits to Tour Operators - help grow Foreign Tourists arrivals, Earn Valuable Foreign Exchange and an Engine for Economic Growth and Employment Generation for the Country?
On date IATO wrote to Mr. Maneck Daver, Chairman, Service Export Promotion Council with a request to kindly intervene and impress upon the Ministry of Commerce to announce the SEIS Scrips for 2019-20 at the earliest and also to increase SEIS Scrips percentage for the tour operators.
- Grant of Airport Entry Passes for the Tour Operators
With regular follow-ups by IATO, and on its request the airport passes for tour operators has been acceded by the Ministry of Civil Aviation. This is as per information received from Ministry of Tourism, Government of India on 23.07.20. The criteria on which the number of passes will be given to the tour operators was outlined and the members were informed on Thursday, 23rd of July.
On date IATO thanked Mrs. Usha Padhee, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Civil Aviation for the Airport Entry Passes for the Tour Operators and requested for the revised guidelines on the same.
On date and on the same subject IATO thanked Mrs. Meenakshi Sharma, Director General Tourism and requested if her office may kindly write a DO Letter to Mrs. Padhee to get the revised guidelines so that IATO can inform its members and also informed her about the communication with Mrs Padhee.
Copy of the letter was marked to ADG Tourism, JDG and Astt DG Travel Trade.
2.Webinars/ Panel Discussions/Circulars/Meetings
Segment 2 update sequence by date: 25,July
- Dekho Apna Desh Webinar on VISAKHAPATNAM THE CITY OF DESTINY organized on the 25th July 2020 at 1100 hrs.
Members were informed on the 23rd of July.
All the above UPDATES are available on IATO WEBSITE