IATO 18th Convention - Kolkata, 29 August- 1 September 2002, Hotel Taj Bengal
Theme: Indian Tourism & The National Agenda
President: Maharaj IS Wahi, Travel Promotion Bureau Pvt. Ltd.
Convention Chairman: Deepak Sengupta, Heritage India Tours and Travels Pvt. Ltd.
Co-Chairman: Lally Mathews, Vacation Travels & Tours Pvt. Ltd.
Chief Guest: Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, Chief Minister of West Bengal
A brief detail:
- Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, Chief Minister of West Bengal, inaugurated the convention.
- Keynote Address: YC Deveshwar, Chairman ITC Ltd.
- Dinesh Chandra Dakua, Minister-in-Charge, Tourism, Govt. of West Bengal inaugurated the Indian Tourism Fair.
- Valedictory Address: MP Bezbaruah, Ex-Secretary Tourism, Govt. of India
- Hall of Fame award: Ram Kohli, Creative Travel Pvt. Ltd.
- Relevance of Tourism in the National Agenda
- Redefining Priorities-Synergizing Efforts
- Connectivity-the Key to Success.
- Showcasing the East.
- Look east for Eco Adventure, Inbound and Domestic Tourism.
- Crisis Management- How to Make it work.
- Despite the financial crunch the convention saw good participation. Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, CN of West Bengal was the Chief guest.
- One of the recommendations made was to formulate an action plan for the Eastern Region with special emphasis on the North-East, based on public-private co-operative.
- It is also recommended that both, the government and the industry, should get together to create an effective mechanism for crisis management.
- It recommended the upgradation of Bagdogra Airport to boost tourism in North East.